Math Mammoth Grade 1, Canadian Version
Math Mammoth Grade 1 Canadian Version is a complete maths program for first grade, available both as digital and print versions.
131 lesson pages,
(of which 8 are an
optional Kindergarten revision)
127 lesson pages
Grade 1-A contents and samples
Grade 1-B contents and samples
User Guide, grade 1
Prices & ordering
Grade 1 full set: USD $39.50
(part A and B worktexts, answer keys,
tests, mixed revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
Part 1-A only: USD $19.75
(part A worktext, part A answer key,
tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
Part 1-B only: USD $19.75
(part B worktext, part B answer key,
tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
The links below go to Lulu. To find these at Amazon or other bookstores, search with the ISBN numbers.
1-A Worktext $12.65 USD
1-B worktext $12.65 USD
Tests & Cumulative Revisions $7.65 USD
Answer Keys $10.20 USD
Supportive materials (digital)
This product is meant to go with the printed student books, and includes digital versions of the answer keys, tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet maker and software Soft-Pak ($8.95 USD).
Do NOT purchase if you're getting the answer keys and tests & cumulative revisions as printed books, or if you're getting the digital version.
Skills Review Workbook
This workbook is supplemental, and provides additional practice for the topics in the curriculum. I recommend you purchase it only once you are sure the student does need supplemental practice. It is made to match the U.S. version of the curriculum but matches the Canadian version well also; only the exercises about U.S. money and about the customary measurement units will not apply. Learn more.
At the heart of the curriculum are two student worktexts (A and B), each covering about half a year of maths work. These worktexts contain all the instruction and the exercises in the same book — which makes lesson preparation a breeze. The worktexts are written directly to the student, and thus they allow many children (if they can read) to teach themselves and to learn directly from the books.
You will also get separate answer keys, chapter tests, additional cumulative revisions (I do recommend you use at least some of them) and a versatile worksheet maker (Internet access required) for those times when your child needs just a bit more practice.
This curriculum is essentially the same as the U.S. version of Math Mammoth Grade 1, only customised for the Canadian audience in these aspects:
- The currency used in the chapter on money is the Canadian dollar. (The download
version also includes that chapter for US, British, European, South African, Australian and New Zealand currencies.)
- The curriculum teaches the metric measurement units. Imperial units, such as inches and pounds, are not used.
- The spelling conforms to British international standards (British English).
- Numbers are formatted with a space as a thousands separator, and a point as a decimal separator.
- Page (paper) size is Letter.
The US version of the curriculum is aligned to the Common Core Standards, which means this curriculum may not be properly aligned to the first grade standards in your province.
However, you can probably find material for any missing topics in neighbouring grades, which means you can simply re-order the material to solve most incompatibilities between different standards.
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so your children can understand the maths, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates fairly long on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic too much.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental maths and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation, which is a big benefit to most teachers and parents. :)
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted. The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly to the student in the worktext, and there also exist accompanying videos where you can see the author herself teach the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations and further practice.
- For addition and subtraction facts, you can use our online practice program (free). Visit the pages for Single-digit Addition Facts online practice and Fact Families online practice
Additional features for the download version
- The worktexts use Canadian currency, but the chapter on coins (chapter 8) is additionally provided in six other currencies: US, British, European, Australian, New Zealand, and South African. You will automatically get all these versions when you buy the digital version of Grade 1 Curriculum (download).
- The PDF files can be filled in on a computer, phone, or tablet, using the annotation tools found in many PDF apps. Learn more.
- BONUS! The download version also comes with BONUS Soft-Pak programs. The 6 programs in Soft-Pak (4 math, 1 language arts, 1 list maker) offer both on-screen and printable activities in a low-graphic, high content format. Read more and see screenshots.
Overview of topics
The main areas of study in grade 1 curriculum are:
- The concepts of addition and subtraction, and strategies for addition and subtraction facts
(chapters 1-2; chapter 4);
- Developing understanding of whole number relationships and place value till 100 (chapter 3 and chapter 7);
- Developing understanding of measuring lengths as iterating length units (chapter 6); and
- Reasoning about attributes of geometric shapes, such as the number of sides and the number of corners, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes (chapter 6).
Additional topics we study in first grade are clock to the half hour (chapter 5) and counting coins (chapter
Check out the table of contents for 1-A and 1-B (sample files) to see the topics covered in more detail.
Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for grade 1:
- A 100-bead abacus (for 1-A and 1-B; especially the chapter on place value and chapter 7)
Please read more about the 100-bead abacus on the FAQ page.
- A non-digital clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will move accordingly (for 1-B).
- A ruler that measures in centimetres (for 1-B).
Reviews / testimonials concerning grade 1 curriculum
Math Is Happy Again — by Meredith at From Meredith to Mommy blog.
Math Mammoth Review by Heather at Running with Spears blog.
This is an awesome curriculum! My first grader is loving it and is able to work independently. With five kids 7 and under that is a huge help! To me this curriculum is a combination of everything I liked from multiple math sources. Definitely going to be continuing and using with younger kids as they grow!
- S. Kennedy, Co-op Member
I just wanted to take a moment to express how grateful I am to have found Math Mammoth — it has been such an enormous help for both of my 1st graders. They enjoy it and have sailed through, but have also learned and retained so much. By far my favorite math curriculum — I suggest it to all of my homeschooling friends. Such a better value in every way than Math-U-See!!!
I just have to tell you what a wonderful year we've had with Math Mammoth! We are about 2 weeks out from finishing grade 1, and my daughter & I are both excited about moving on to grade 2. We switched in November (at that time, you gave me some placement advice... thank you!), and since then, my daughter has become quite the lover of math! Before MM, we were using Christian Light Education, and she would whine and cry almost daily when it came time for math. She knew the material, but it was pure drudgery for her.
Now, thanks to you & Mathy
(we had to get our own Mathy!), she even asks if we can do math first each day! It's clicking with her, and she is so proud when she's able to quickly answer a problem mentally. We love the lesson plans
for Homeschool Planet, and each day, she's excited to see if we have a video or game to go along with our lesson.
I truly can't thank you enough. Math Mammoth has made such a difference in our homeschool.
This is hands down my favorite option for Math for my 6-year-old son. We have used both the light blue and blue series. My son is able to work through the assignments independently by reading the directions and examples for each lesson. If he needs clarification I am there to assist him but he is able to do most of the assignments independently.
I also had a question about an assignment that I sent to Math Mammoth. I got a personal detailed response from the owner.
This is an easy to use, open and go curriculum.
I LOVE this program. As a former math teacher with my masters also in math education I would highly recommend this program at least based on what we have experienced so far in 1st grade. My daughter is enjoying and is improving every day with her math facts. This is definitely a mastery based curriculum which I support.
I just wanted to thank you for this excellent curriculum! I tried 3 different 1st grade curriculums for my daughter and none of them were working well for her. Math was just not clicking. I got the entire curriculum (to use for both her, my younger daughter and my numerous tutoring students). She started 1st grade on February 3rd and she will complete the entire 1st grade course (workbooks A & B) by April 25th! (An entire grade in under 12 weeks!) She finally understands the concepts, and now math is her favorite subject! The students I tutor are also benefitting from the curriculum and love how everything is explained.
Math was never my favorite subject in school, and (like my daughter) I now LOVE it and am seeing math in an entirely new light! Thank you!
Homeschool mom, Licensed Teacher and Tutor
How and where to order
You can buy Math Mammoth Canadian version:
- As a digital version on this site (Mathmammoth.com) — using the "Add to cart" buttons.
- As a print version at Lulu (student worktexts only). Follow the links from this site to Lulu.
Math Mammoth Grades 1-3 Bundle, Canadian Version (digital download), USD $79.00
Get grades 1-3 in a discounted bundle — 33% off!
By purchasing any of the books, permission IS granted for the purchaser (teacher or parent) to reproduce this material to be used with his/her students in a teaching situation; not for commercial resale. Please note: you are not permitted to share the material with other teachers or parents.
In other words, you are permitted to make copies for the students/children you are teaching, but not for other teachers' usage.