You are here: Home → MM South African Version → Grade 1
Math Mammoth Grade 1, South African Version
Math Mammoth Grade 1, South African Version is a complete maths program for 1st grade. It consists of two student worktexts (A and B), a separate answer key for each, tests, mixed revisions and an additional worksheet maker (Internet access required) to make extra practice worksheets when needed.
125 lesson pages
122 lesson pages
1-A contents and samples
1-B contents and samples
Prices & ordering
Grade 1 full set: USD $37.50
Includes part A and B worktexts, answer keys, tests, mixed revisions, a worksheet maker, and Soft-Pak.
You will be purchasing the download from my authorized reseller Comecero, LLC.
At the heart of the curriculum are two student worktexts (A and B), each covering about half a year of math work. These worktexts contain all the instruction and the exercises in the same book — which makes lesson preparation a breeze. The worktexts are written directly to the student, and thus they allow many children (if they can read) to teach themselves and to learn directly from the books.
You will also get separate answer keys, chapter tests, additional cumulative revisions (I do recommend you use at least some of them), and a versatile worksheet maker (Internet access required) for those times when your child needs just a bit more practice.
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so your children can understand the maths, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates fairly long on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic too much.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental maths and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation, which is a big benefit to most teachers/parents. :)
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted. The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly to the student in the worktext, and there also exist accompanying videos where you can see Maria herself teach the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations, and further practice.
- For addition and subtraction facts, you can use our online practice program (free). Visit the pages for Single-digit Addition Facts online practice and Fact Families online practice
Additional features for the digital version (download)
- The PDF files can be filled in on a computer, phone, or tablet, using the annotation tools found in many PDF apps. Learn more.
- BONUS! The digital download version also comes with BONUS Soft-Pak programs. The 6 programs in Soft-Pak (4 math, 1 language arts, 1 list maker) offer both on-screen and printable activities in a low-graphic, high content format. Read more and see screenshots.
Overview of topics
The main areas of study in grade 1 curriculum are:
- The concepts of addition and subtraction, and strategies for addition and subtraction facts
(chapters 1-2; chapter 4);
- Developing understanding of whole number relationships and place value till 100 (chapter 3 and chapter 7);
- Developing understanding of measuring lengths as iterating length units (chapter 6); and
- Reasoning about attributes of geometric shapes, such as the number of sides and the number of corners, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes (chapter 6).
Additional topics we study in first grade are clock to the half hour (chapter 5) and counting coins (chapter
Please also see the table of contents for 1-A and 1-B (in the sample files), which will let you see the topics covered in more detail.
Math Mammoth South African Version has been customized for South Africa in the following manners:
- The names used are South African names (such as Ansie and Jali).
- The currency used in word problems is rand. The money chapter teaches both rand and cents.
- The material is "all metric". In other words, the US customary measuring units are not used.
- Spelling is British English instead of American English.
- Paper size is A4.
- Geographic locations used emphasize South African locations (such as Pretoria, Johannesburg).
Please note that the curriculum is not following the South African official syllabus for 1st grade maths.
Instead, it simply is a copy of the US version of Math Mammoth Grade 1. For the most part, Math Mammoth exceeds South African standards. Some standards may not be covered.
Skills Review Workbook
Math Mammoth Skills Review Workbook, Grade 1 provides additional practice for the topics in Math Mammoth Grade 1 curriculum. I recommend you only purchase it once you are sure the student does need supplemental practice. Learn more.
Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for Grade 1:
- A 100-bead abacus (link goes to Amazon) (for 1-A and 1-B; especially the chapter on place value and chapter 7). Read more here.
- A non-digital clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will turn accordingly (for 1-B).
- A ruler that measures in centimetres (for 1-B).
Reviews / testimonials concerning grade 1 curriculum
Math Mammoth Review — by Wendy at Ladybug Daydreams blog.
Math Mammoth Review — by Yvonne at yvonne_thelifewebuild.
Math Mammoth Review — by Karelfy
Math Is Happy Again — by Meredith at From Meredith to Mommy blog.
Math Mammoth Review by Heather at Running with Spears blog.
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for creating an amazing math curriculum! I am a teacher of 14 years now turned homeschool mom of a kindergartener! I looked for a while before hearing about your program. I was not finding anything I liked and thinking I was going to need to create my own (which is what I did a lot during my teaching years because of gaps in curriculum). A friend told me about your program and how much they loved it for their children (now in high school). After just finishing level one (just starting level 2) I can see why this family loved the program! I am completely hooked! I have told many of my friends about this great program and how using it they can feel confident their children are learning the standards and the steps preparing them for the equations....they will be ready for HS math!!! I just want to say thank you for putting the immense amount of time and effort it took to create each of these levels and materials!!! : )
This is an awesome curriculum! My first grader is loving it and is able to work independently. With five kids 7 and under that is a huge help! To me this curriculum is a combination of everything I liked from multiple math sources. Definitely going to be continuing and using with younger kids as they grow!
- S. Kennedy, Co-op Member
I just wanted to take a moment to express how grateful I am to have found Math Mammoth — it has been such an enormous help for both of my 1st graders. They enjoy it and have sailed through, but have also learned and retained so much. By far my favorite math curriculum — I suggest it to all of my homeschooling friends. Such a better value in every way than Math-U-See!!!
I just have to tell you what a wonderful year we've had with Math Mammoth! We are about 2 weeks out from finishing grade 1, and my daughter & I are both excited about moving on to grade 2. We switched in November (at that time, you gave me some placement advice... thank you!), and since then, my daughter has become quite the lover of math! Before MM, we were using Christian Light Education, and she would whine and cry almost daily when it came time for math. She knew the material, but it was pure drudgery for her.
Now, thanks to you & Mathy
(we had to get our own Mathy!), she even asks if we can do math first each day! It's clicking with her, and she is so proud when she's able to quickly answer a problem mentally. We love the lesson plans
for Homeschool Planet, and each day, she's excited to see if we have a video or game to go along with our lesson.
I truly can't thank you enough. Math Mammoth has made such a difference in our homeschool.
This is hands down my favorite option for Math for my 6-year-old son. We have used both the light blue and blue series. My son is able to work through the assignments independently by reading the directions and examples for each lesson. If he needs clarification I am there to assist him but he is able to do most of the assignments independently.
I also had a question about an assignment that I sent to Math Mammoth. I got a personal detailed response from the owner.
This is an easy to use, open and go curriculum.
I LOVE this program. As a former math teacher with my masters also in math education I would highly recommend this program at least based on what we have experienced so far in 1st grade. My daughter is enjoying and is improving every day with her math facts. This is definitely a mastery based curriculum which I support.
I just wanted to thank you for this excellent curriculum! I tried 3 different 1st grade curriculums for my daughter and none of them were working well for her. Math was just not clicking. I got the entire curriculum (to use for both her, my younger daughter and my numerous tutoring students). She started 1st grade on February 3rd and she will complete the entire 1st grade course (workbooks A & B) by April 25th! (An entire grade in under 12 weeks!) She finally understands the concepts, and now math is her favorite subject! The students I tutor are also benefitting from the curriculum and love how everything is explained.
Math was never my favorite subject in school, and (like my daughter) I now LOVE it and am seeing math in an entirely new light! Thank you!
Homeschool mom, Licensed Teacher and Tutor
I don't know what it is about Math Mammoth that makes it work, all I know is that it works. After just a few weeks starting from the first book of first grade, I went from having a 2nd grader who couldn't add or subtract, to a 2nd grader who loves making up math problems and solving them for fun.
- Kimberly, Co-op Member