Math Mammoth Grade 2, Canadian Version
Math Mammoth Grade 2 Canadian Version is a complete maths program for second grade, available both as digital and print versions.
131 lesson pages
136 lesson pages
Grade 2-A contents and samples
Grade 2-B contents and samples
User Guide, grade 2
Prices & ordering
Grade 2 full set: $39.50
(part A and B worktexts, answer keys,
tests, mixed revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
Part 2-A only: $19.75
(part A worktext, part A answer key,
tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
Part 2-B only: $19.75
(part B worktext, part B answer key,
tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet
maker, and Soft-Pak)
You can purchase printed copies (perfect bound) at Lulu. The prices below are in USD.
2-A worktext $13.55
2-B worktext $13.35
To go with the printed student books, you can purchase the digital version of the supportive materials: answer keys, tests, cumulative revisions, worksheet maker and software Soft-Pak ($8.95 USD).
Skills Review Workbook
This workbook is supplemental, and provides additional practice for the topics in the curriculum. I recommend you only purchase it once you are sure the student does need supplemental practice. Learn more.
At the heart of the curriculum are two student worktexts (A and B), each covering about half a year of maths work. These worktexts contain all the instruction and the exercises in the same book — which makes lesson preparation a breeze. The worktexts are written directly to the student, and thus they allow many children (if they can read) to teach themselves and to learn directly from the books.
You will also get separate answer keys, chapter tests, additional cumulative revisions (I do recommend you use at least some of them), and a versatile worksheet maker (Internet access required) for those times when your child needs just a bit more practice.
This curriculum is essentially the same as the U.S. version of Math Mammoth Grade 2, only customised for the Canadian audience in these aspects:
- The currency used in the money chapters in grades 1-3 is the Canadian dollar. (The download
versions for these grades also include the chapter on money for US, British, European, South African, Australian and New Zealand currencies.)
- The curriculum teaches the metric measurement units. Imperial units, such as inches and pounds, are not used.
- The spelling conforms to British international standards (British English).
- Numbers are formatted with a space as a thousands separator, and a point as a decimal separator.
- Page (paper) size is Letter.
The US version of the curriculum is aligned to the Common Core Standards, which means this curriculum may not be properly aligned to the second grade standards in your province.
However, you can probably find material for any missing topics in neighbouring grades, which means you can simply re-order the material to solve most incompatibilities between different standards.
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so your children can understand the maths, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates fairly long on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic too much.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental maths and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation, which is a big benefit to most teachers and parents. :)
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted. The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly to the student in the worktext, and there also exist accompanying videos where you can see the author herself teach the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations and further practice.
- For addition and subtraction facts, you can use our online practice program (free). Visit the pages for Single-digit Addition Facts online practice and Fact Families online practice
Additional features for the download version
- The wortexts use Canadian currency, but the chapter on coins and money (chapter 9) is additionally provided in six other currencies: US, British, European, Australian, New Zealand and South African. You will automatically get all these versions when you buy the digital version of Grade 2 Curriculum (download).
- The PDF files can be filled in on a computer, phone, or tablet, using the annotation tools found in many PDF apps. Learn more.
- BONUS! The download version also comes with BONUS Soft-Pak programs. The 6 programs in Soft-Pak (4 math, 1 language arts, 1 list maker) offer both on-screen and printable activities in a low-graphic, high content format. Read more and see screenshots.
Overview of topics
The main areas of study in grade 2 curriculum are:
- Understanding of the base-ten system within 0-1000. This includes place value with three-digit numbers, skip-
counting in fives, tens, and multiples of hundreds, tens and ones (within 0-1000).
(chapters 6 and 8);
- Develop fluency with addition and subtraction within 0-100, including solving word problems, regrouping in
addition, and regrouping in subtraction (chapters 1, 3, 4 and 8);
- Using standard units of measure (chapter 7);
- Describing and analyzing shapes (chapter 5).
Additional topics we study are time/clock (chapter 2), money (chapter 9), introduction to multiplication (chapter 10), and
bar graphs and picture graphs (in various chapters).
Check out the table of contents for 2-A and 2-B (sample files) to see the topics covered in more detail.
Here is a list of manipulatives that are needed or recommended for grade 2:
- An old-fashioned alarm clock or other analog clock where you can turn the minute hand and the hour hand will turn as it is supposed to (for 2-A).
- A ruler that measures in centimetres (for 2-B).
- A bathroom scale that measures in kilograms (for 2-B).
- Base ten blocks to illustrate place value with hundreds (optional). The worktexts have pictures that are just like base ten blocks, and most children can understand the concepts from the visual representation, without a physical manipulative; however for some children the actual blocks can be beneficial (for 2-B).
A 100-bead abacus (optional)
Please read more about the 100-bead abacus on the FAQ page.
Reviews / Testimonials of the 2nd grade curriculum
Last school year I started noticing my oldest child (end of 2nd grade) had some maths skills gaps that were making her hate math. I decided to find a mastery curriculum with spiral to start back from the beginning with her to overcome this problem. I bought level 1 on my own and we worked through it fairly quickly as a review. I was so happy with it that I had decided to buy level 2, so when I stumbled on the Homeschool Buyers Co-op deal for all the levels I was THRILLED. I plan to continue using our hands-on math approach (Gattegno) for a different type of understanding; however, this open and go has become our daily math that I will use not only with my oldest child but plan to print again for my younger two. I love that it is a worktext so that she can learn and practice all at the same time without distractions of multiple books/moving parts. It is an affordable and super high-quality curriculum that I researched thoroughly before purchasing. Not only is the curriculum itself wonderful, but there are so many other resources included I haven't even fully explored yet. I also love that ideas for engaging games with cards etc are included to practice new skills in each chapter. It s just a really thorough curriculum with a ton of thought put into meeting a child and helping them succeed and overcome math stumbling blocks. My daughter especially feels proud of herself when she s able to successfully complete the Puzzle Corner challenges using new skills.
- Sarah F., Co-op Member
I am so glad we switched from Singapore to Math Mammoth! My daughter struggled through Singapore 1a and 1b and was often frustrated and confused and I didn't know how to help her. We switched to Math Mammoth at level 2a and she is working harder and more independently with less frustration! I can see her confidence and math abilities growing immensely! We are almost through 2a and her attitude towards math has changed as well. Instead of hating it and feeling dumb, she says that she's actually starting to like math. She loves Maria's videos
and wishes she could meet her in person! Thank you, Maria!
We love this math program! My son was really struggling in math. We have tried two other programs but he would get frustrated. I am able to do a quick minilesson with lots of practice, reinforced by videos
and additional teaching resources. No extra manipulatives needed, but they are very helpful. So far (in level 2) we have used 1's, 10's and 100's cubes as well as a clock. I love that we could buy the whole series and print out what we need. I can use this material for my different children and save money. I can push my son to complete multiple pages if he is understanding the concept or I can give further instruction and slow down our pace. I highly recommend this program.
- Liz P., Co-op Member
This is an awesome text! My kids are able to move through very smoothly. They have even gotten the confidence to work on the material (1st and 2nd grade) without my assistance. I have used another mastery type math program previously, but my kids became bored. Math Mammoth has kept their attention from day one, even when they have come across something they don't understand they have a motivation to keep trying. I have been so happy about this program that I purchased the Light Blue bundle CD from grade 1 to 7, and I have also made mention of it on Homemakingwithgrace.com on the post about the 2017-2018 curricula. I feel that this program is great for many learning styles, and is wonderful if you are trying to develop students that are self-motivated.
Kym Ely, Co-op Member
How and where to order
You can buy Math Mammoth Canadian version:
- As a digital version on this site (Mathmammoth.com) — using the "Add to cart" buttons.
- As a print version at Lulu (student worktexts only). Follow the links from this site to Lulu.
Math Mammoth Grades 1-3 Bundle, Canadian Version (digital download), $79 USD
Get grades 1-3 in a discounted bundle — 33% off! This means you save $39.50 USD (or the equivalent in your currency).
By purchasing any of the books, permission IS granted for the purchaser (teacher or parent) to reproduce this material to be used with his/her students in a teaching situation; not for commercial resale. Please note: you are not permitted to share the material with other teachers or parents.
In other words, you are permitted to make copies for the students/children you are teaching, but not for other teachers' usage.